Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Welcome Billy and Zorro!



We have new members of the petting zoo! Welcome to Billy, the black pigmy goat, and his "brother" Zorry, a tan, brown and black LaMancha goat. I am guessing on Zorro's breed, but he has the most odd looking tiny ears and my book says that LaMancha goats have little or no visible ears at all. Very weird indeed. :-) I havent found out yet why anybody would breed the external ear away from a breed of animal.. but ... there is no limit to the fancy of people I guess. LaMancha goats are a milking breed (but since Zorro is a neutered male, it hardly matters) that originates in Oregon and is supposed to be hardy and still produces under adverse conditions.
Back to Billy and Zorro.. I am not actually sure how old they are, but they sure are a funny pair. Billy, the short but fat guy, seems to be the boss, I think he is just a little more daring and bold. Zorro rather prevers retreat over confrontation, but supposedly was raised by a child and actually seemed to warm up a lot faster towards my daughter than to me! Way to go, Zorro!
The horses were very interested in teh goats and spent quite some time visiting with them while they were locked up temporarily in the dog kennel in the back pasture.
Oh, and i love the way these guys manage to scratch their backs with their horns!!! Very ingenious or "goaty" I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment